Tuesday, November 27, 2012

How I've Grown and What I've Learned

Over the past 3 months, I have gained a lot of knowledge by being involved in the Hixson program. I have been given resources I am able to use over the next 3 and half years. I have also been shown people that are here to help as well. Most importantly though, I have seen a huge growth in myself in just these short past months. 

First and foremost, the information given to me about Iowa State University has been more than beneficial. We've been shown things like the National Student Exchange Program, which I found most intriguing, that most people on campus probably do not know about. A big thing that we learned during classes was about the hundreds, if not thousa33333nds, of opportunities on campus. Whether it's a Spring Break "short trips" or having students that are involved in various clubs come talk to us. I particularly enjoyed hearing from these older Hixsons and students because it enabled me to see how involved I can become in the next few years. I've also got to learn many of the Iowa State traditions and the history of my university that I did not know about before.

Secondly, I've found people that are willingly to help guide me through this year at Iowa State as well as my next few years. In my last blog, I also mentioned these people, but I feel like it ties in here too. I believe that the relationships you form can make or break you. Obviously, all the people associated with the Hixson program are going to help! I've heard a ton from people this year that it's all about who you know and I think I know some of the best people on campus. 

Finally, I've seen myself grow a ton. At first, college was very scary as well as exciting. I have never had this much freedom and control of what I really need to do for myself. I've fully grasped the concept that everything I do now is for myself and if I want something done, I'm going to have to take the initiative to do it myself. For example, the Hixson program is willing to give me funding for tutoring if I ever need it. Although I have never used tutoring in the past, I might need it at some point and will have to be the one to seek out the help. No one is here reminding me to studying and turn in assignments it's all on me now.

I am very thankful for the Hixson program and all that it has done for me in just the last 3 months. My future is brighter because of this generous help and I look forward to staying involved with the program as well as in contact with my fellow Hixson recipients. 

1 comment:

  1. I feel as though the Hixson Program has also made me grow as a person. The connection and the knowledge we gain from the class will be able to stay with us forever. One of the points you had also made was, "It's not what you know, but who you know." I found out that statement is 100% true.

    ReplyDelete