Tuesday, November 13, 2012

The Hixson Award

Receiving the Hixson Opportunity Award was a huge surprise to me, but one that I gratefully accepted. I live in Scott County which means I was up against all the students from bigger schools in Davenport and Bettendorf, so I can't say I thought my odds were really with me. I applied for the scholarship anyways because I met all of the qualifications and just saw it as a way to get a little extra help with paying for my education. Little did I know that it would be helpful in many more ways, other than just financially.

First of all, it provided me with a place to go when I need to study in peace and quiet or get away from things for a while. The Hixson building is perfect for me because it's right across the street from my dorm and it's quiet! I can even go there 24/7 if I need to! I study there more than any place on campus. The lab is incredibly helpful in that I don't have to take my laptop with me and create unneeded distractions for myself with social media. I can just grab a desktop for a minute or two if I need it and then get back to reading and studying. I always get stuff done when I'm over in the Hixson building.

Academically, being a Hixson is great. There are people that I can talk to if I'm struggling in a class and they truly want to help. Although I am a part of Iowa State's biggest freshman class, I don't feel like just a number, like many in the past said I would. Between the one-on-one meeting at the beginning of the year with Debra and the two-on-ones with my peer mentors, I've figured out that these people are there for me, especially my peer mentors. They were in my shoes just a few years ago and probably know what I'm going through for the most part. Additional help with academics is available because I can get a tutor if I need one for cheaper than most students. I have yet to use this service, but am looking into because I have a pretty tough schedule next semester and every bit of help with be beneficial.

Finally, by being a Hixson I have met great people that I probably wouldn't have met otherwise. Over the past couple of months, I have really gotten to know the people in my group and become friends with them. The other night I actually went and played volleyball with one of the girls. I can't say I have done that with anyone else from my actual classes. Seminar each week is great in that I usually sit by someone different that is from a different section so I get to learn a little about them, too!

Obviously, however, the biggest help did come financially. Because of the Hixson award, I will not have to take out a loan for this first year of school and hopefully, if everything goes well, the next three years. Talk about a relief! Graduating college without debt, or at least minimal debt, is a huge goal of mine. I will forever be grateful for the contribution Christina made toward my education and for the opportunity she has given me to provide myself with a future full of potential. If there is one lesson I learned from receiving the Hixson Award, it is to go after something you want. I may have thought that getting this award was a long shot, but sometimes all you need is that one chance. It may not work out every time, but when it does, it will be worth it.  

2 comments:

  1. I have the same goal as you: try to graduate college with no debt - fingers crossed! I feel the same way you do about the interaction we have with our mentors. Its comforting to know that there are always people there to help us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also share the same goal as you about graduating college with no debt! I am thankful for everything this scholarship provides as you talked about, the tutors, the financial security, and the change to meet friends with a similar background.

    ReplyDelete