Saturday, February 1, 2014

Forever an ESFJ

          Step 2 of the Meyers-Briggs Type Indicator revealed that like Step 1, I am still an extraversion, sensing, feeling, and judging person. Surprisingly, this was the same type as four other peer mentors! I may have been skeptical of this personality test before, but now that I have gone through the evaluation twice and read through the facets, I'm a believer. This personality type seems to fit me well and will be incredibly beneficial in getting to know more about the ways that interact with others and learn.
           The first facet of this interpretive report breaks down why I am a clear extravert. Four of my five facets were in preference while just one, active-reflection, was midzone. I can see where I am both an active and reflective person. I am comfortable with participating in an activity, but if I'm needed to sit back and observe, that's fine too. When it comes to my learning, I'm more of a person that just needs to sit down alone and study. Interactive activities don't particularly help me like others. My strongest area of extraversion was being initiating; I know I use this a lot when I am around old and new friends. I try to introduce everyone and help the group mesh!
          The distinction between sensing and intuition was a little less clear for me as I was just in the moderate category. To be honest, I thought I would have been very clear in this category because I hate abstract ideas. Memorizing facts and concepts is how I do well in school so I was surprised when I wasn't a 5 under the concrete facet. Additionally, in this section I had one area where I was out of preference; I was more conceptual than practical. After reading some of the descriptions under that set, I'm not sure how I feel about it. For example, it says that I probably would rather have an academic career in my profession instead of being a practitioner. I can tell you right now that I will most definitely be out practicing dietetics in healthcare settings and not researching or teaching about it!
          I felt no surprise when I was a feeling person yet again. I've always been the more caring, make sure no one gets left out kind of person. I'm a listener as well and will always try to empathize and accept everyone. Although I came from a small town with almost no cultural diversity, I've always been accepting of everyone and have never questioned it. Finally, I thought it was interesting that I was midzone for tough and tender, but again, that describes me perfectly. For example, I had a friend in high school that I worked with that started to hang out with the wrong crowd. Initially, I was kind of mean about and basically told him, with authority that I didn't have, that he couldn't hang out with them anymore. But then, realizing that I shouldn't have been so tough, I took the nicer route and told him that he should come hang out with my friends and I instead sometime. I'm definitely a pusher when I think people aren't living up to their fullest potential, but I'm working on being nicer about it.
          Lastly, I am judging person, but not a judgmental person! I like having a routine and being organized. Shockingly, I'm not a planner person though; I just have a giant calendar on my computer that I use for things for writing down quizzes and exams. I rely on my memory for every day assignments. I'm definitely not the most spontaneous person and waiting until the last minute to do things makes me anxious. On the other hand though, I will say that I am an expert procrastinator and almost always regret all the time that I waste, another thing I'm working on and getting better at.
           In conclusion, I liked what Debra said in class when she said everything is situational and how she used the bedroom, kitchen, and bathroom analogy to describe how we will have to be different almost all the time in order to get things done. However, in a perfect world, I think it is accurate to say that I would be most successful when I am able to be a sensing, feeling, and judging extravert!









3 comments:

  1. I too have that statement about being in an academic career versus being a practitioner in my report. I completely disagree with it. To be honest research and teaching in psychology scares me. I would much rather be interacting with a client and that is what I intend to do. It's good that you were able to draw connections between your life and your results. It makes it easier to recognize times when you can alter a situation just because of your personality type whether it is for better or not in the situation.

    In this next year hopefully you'll be able to use your MBTI type to its fullest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that we use different parts of our personalities in different situations. Although I am very introverted, certain situations require me to reach out to the people I am working with and act more extroverted. It is good that you can work in a variety of roles; I think that will make you a better peer mentor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also really enjoyed Debra's bedroom/kitchen/bathroom analogy. I never thought of how each everyday situation is being dealt with in a different way. I am also judging type person in the sense that I am very organized and sticking to my schedule. You are a great person and I think ESFJ fits you well!

    ReplyDelete