I choose to practice my referral of campus resources on Timothy's case of not getting along with his roommate because that is a situation that I don't have experience with. I loved my roommate and like in the scenario, still talk to her often. However, I remember by the end of the year last year that there were many people who weren't so crazy about their's showing this is an all too common issue with freshmen and their dorm mates.
First off, I decided that this a situation with moderate severity. It definitely needs to get taken care of before things get too serious, or crazy as Timothy would say, but no one's life is at stake so taking a little time to think things over won't hurt anyone. Then, I would move on to talking to Timothy more about this problem and asking questions. The two statements that he made, "he's crazy," and "everyone has noticed the tension", isn't enough information to figure out what the real problem is. So my first questions would be based around figuring out what is really going on. Is it something like the roommate is a slob/neat freak or does he come in too late at night or is mean and yell at Timothy? Is he breaking one of their mutual agreements on their roommate contract? Digging into the issue is crucial! I would also ask Timothy what he thought his options were and what he has thought about doing. Sometimes just talking things out like this can be enough to solve the issue if the student realizes that the issue really isn't all that bad.
However, if it is something serious and Timothy feels like he really does need more help, I would first upfront tell him that I don't know everything about changing roommates or dorms and that that is something that his Community Adviser or Hall Director would be best at. Like we talked about in class, taking this step could be difficult so I would encourage this action by talking about how helpful and friendly my CA was when I lived in the dorms. Additionally, I would remind him that he is not the only person to ever have an issue with a roommate and the CA's are well equipped to assist in solving them. I don't think that it would be necessary for me to personalize this situation unless I happened to know their CA or hall director; I definitely think this is one of those times that we can't walk them to their CA's door or go and yell at their roommate.
Finally, to followup on this situation, I would try and pull Timothy aside after class or shoot him an e-mail to see if he has done anything about the situation and if yes, find out if that helped or not, and then help him talk through what the next steps need to be if it's not resolved.
Nicole,
ReplyDeleteI think the way you would handle Timothy's situation would be the best way possible. It does seem to be around moderate severity since to him it may seem like the worst thing in the world, but at least it isn't life threatening. Talking with him in order to figure out the root of the issue would be a very smart first step since understanding the problem will help him work through it. If the issue is to the point that moving out or switching roommates needs to be done then referring him to get in contact with a CA or Hall Director is a good next step. I think the follow-up at the end is also very important to remember in order to show him you honestly care how things work out for him!
Kira
Hey Nikki,
ReplyDeleteI really liked the way you handled this situation! My first semester I had roommate problems myself so I know what it is like to deal with a difficult roommate as well as talking to your CA. Roommate problems were not the only problem that helped to make me decide to move to a different dorm but it was a leading cause. I completely agree with you that this is a decently urgent situation and I liked your follow up ideas. Great plan!
Matt
Nikki,
ReplyDeleteMy favorite part about your blog is easily your honesty. You straight up told your student that you don't have everything figured out. I think that this is one of the most important parts of making referrals to students. Not acting like we know everything and that we are just trying to help. I too had never gone through the problems of having a bad situation with a roommate.. But, I think that the way that you handled it was great!
See you soon! :D
Sam