I think that I already possess some interpersonal skills already, particularly good listening. However, the skill that I am most worried about and know that I need to develop is to not jump the gun and just give them advice. After reading this chapter and discussing in class, I now know how critical that skill will be to help the freshmen learn about themselves and allow them to become more independent. I loved when Chelsee said that the freshmen need to start figuring things out on their own. I remember how lost I felt first semester last year, but now I pretty much feel like I have everything figured out; I know I wouldn't be like that if I had been spoon fed all the answers freshman year. I think the same thing can be said about being a peer mentor as well. I'm still a little lost when it comes to knowing exactly what to expect and I don't expect to know everything until I've gone through the experience. This uncertainty will allow us to grow. Fortunately, we have this whole semester to get us a little prepared. I particularly like when we have the chance to practice different situations with each other in class to start creating an inventory of ideas about different common issues.
Finally, I think the importance of referrals needs to be stressed. I think a lot of us feel like we absolutely need to help our students no matter what and although that's a great attitude to have, we should not be afraid to send them to someone else if we know that they would be served better elsewhere. Some of the situations that the book brought up were when the complexity of the problem is over your head or when your own personal problems and biases may interfere. I believe that the having the knowledge of knowing when to help and when to step back and let someone else help is another aspect of interpersonal communication that should be respected as much as the others.
I love your goal of creating the open environment! I agree that is of the utmost importance if we want to truly be able to help our mentees. Good mention about stressing to know when to give a referral. I think we're very similar in that it's easy to just give advice and help them out. Sometimes it's hard to admit that we don't know how to handle something isn't it?
ReplyDeleteGreat post Nicole!
Nicole,
ReplyDeleteGreat job hitting some key points that we didn't in class! I to want to just jump in and slam some advice in their face, like a big pie. But it will take time for them to come to us, if they do at all and i need to realize that. Another great point you made was about the referrals, I like to think that I can answer everything on my own, but the fact that we should be humble enough to tell them to go to others is big!
Thanks so much for this!
Sam